FEATURE FRIDAY MEMBER OF THE WEEK TALIA VANCE



My story starts long ago, when I first came out of the womb. I was born into a family restaurant, Italian to be exact with delicious home made bread, pizza dough, lasagna, spaghetti sauce and so much more. As I got older, our dinner consisted of 75% carbs and 25% protein. I loved every minute of it and you could tell when you looked at me. Rewards with food were given, traditions of tons of food at the table were had and a mother who had to make sure you took seconds or thirds because there was enough would all affect me later on in life. I am one of the very lucky individuals that had a healthy, happy childhood and life, I never went through any traumatic experiences, my parents took care of me and did whatever they could do to raise me right.
As I got to middle school, my chunkiness continued, I believe it was then that I started having body image issues. I had a friend who was beautiful, all the males flocked to her and I never got any attention. My senior year of high school, 2002, I decided to take control and even ended up losing 15-20 pounds. I was getting attention, people were noticing and it was like fuel to my fire. I did this the nornmal way anyone would with eating more frequently and exercising more. I was not a member of the gym at that time so I did home videos and I was already bringing my own lunch to school but this time I was would start snacking throughout the day. I will always remember my one friend conserned I had an eating disorder bc I stopped eating at lunch but the truth was I had already eaten what I brought by that time. A year passed and I gained most of the weight back from partying and drinking and so then I decided to sign up for the gym. The memebership went on for years with inconsistancy and yo yo dieting. In 2008 I knew I wanted to take the NYS Trooper exam and so I realized I needed to get more in shape for that, I started dieting again and going to the gym religiously. This is where my love for working out came back. The employees at the gym starting noticing my passion and told me I should be trainer that they say what I did and I would be good at it. I was more than thrilled so I stated selling memberships at an all woman's gym, I hate that so I went and took a personal training test and starting training and this is where my struggles began. When I was selling memberships, possibly even before that I was binge eating, it's quite possible it was going on for longer than I realized but never saw it as a problem.
When I started training I kept looking through Oxygen magazines, looking for workouts, got to know all I needed to know about training and food and started labeling foods as good and bad. Good foods would be healthy foods and bad would be cakes, ice cream, processed food. I would go weeks without eating anything bad and the moment that my lips touched something "bad" it was all over. I was very much an all for nothing person, I was either 100% on my diet or 100% off and if I messed up even just a little bit it was enough to throw me over the edge. This went on for literally YEARS. I have tons of food journals, calorie journals, weight log journals, progress pictures, etc etc and so one say I decided to take the big leap into the competing world, After constantly reading fitness magazine it was officially my goal to become a fitness/bikini model. I started working with a trainer but encountered the same issues with binging, before it was 2-3 times per week almost every week, it went down and I made progress but as soon as the competition was over, I had a plan to follow but threw it to the wind because I was deprived all of the "bad" foods and I was craving them all. That was still my battle, I didn't know balance I couldn't eat things in moderation. I was miserable I hated the way I felt and looked would always want to start over but then some little slip up would send me to the bottom again, eating everything I could find, going to various places thinking what I was craving next. I would literally consume thousands of calories in one sitting. These are all things I did before my first competition but I was compensating through more exercise and more restricting leading to the same cycle over and over. My first coach taught me to stop doing that and I only engaged in those behaviors a few times during my first prep but afterwards all I would do was eat bc I knew that over exercising would cause me to be even more hungry. Eventually I started working with the same trainer and was shooting for a show date in Spring of 2012 but I opted out of it when my stress from 2 jobs, going to school, interning, training 2x per diet, posing practice, food prep was all too much for me. This time the rebound was worse and I found myself at my highest weight ever just a few months ago. 
In the summer of 2012 I decided it was time to get professional help and the closest I got to was the Psychological Services at UB refereed to me by someone I met off of Team Fit that just so happened to live in Buffalo as well. I was diagnosed with Binge eating disorder non purging type and have been in treatment ever since. I also started a new relationship at that time and with his support along with all of the groups I have on facebook, family and friends I am finally in place where I can eat a trigger food and not indulge or let it lead to a binge. I know I am not in the clear and I know I am not perfect but I have taken everything I have learned from counseling and other peoples experiences with me and I am attempting another bikini competition in 2013. I hired a new coach and I feel like I have a brand new attitude. I never thought I would get to this point but I am here now and I am so proud of myself and thankful for all of those around me that never gave up on me and pushed me to keep going!!! I hope to continue on this path and win my competition in the spring or at least place top 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment